Posted by: opala808 | July 8, 2015

Check Out Bags: What’s in? What’s out?

BagIn-Line

Beginning July 1, 2015, your shopping “bag” experience may be different.  Single-use, flimsy plastic bags are out; reusable, paper and compostable bags are in.  You may also opt to bring your own bag or go bagless.  A bin or laundry basket strategically placed in your car could provide convenient transport of your purchases from shopping cart to car to house, no bags involved.

Initial retail industry feedback indicates that about 43% of businesses will not provide bags.  Of the remaining 57% offering bags, it breaks down as 44% paper bags, 31% reusable bags and 25% compostable bags.

For more information on Oahu’s plastic bag ban, including a link to the plastic bag ban ordinance and a list of exempt uses where plastic bags are still allowable, please visit Opala.org or call the City’s Recycling Branch at 768-3200.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Categories

%d bloggers like this: